ode-dev mailing list archives

From Tammo van Lessen <tvanles...@gmail.com>
Subject Minutes: ODE roadmap call
Date Tue, 22 Mar 2011 12:27:27 GMT
Hi guys,

thanks for attending today's ODE skype call. AFAIK it was the first ODE
call of this kind, I think it was interesting and helpful. Lets continue
the discussion on the dev list.

Here are my notes:

Attendees: Anurag Aggarwal, Gary Brown, Jeff Yu, Shivaraj Tenginakai,
Sunil Kalva, Milinda Pathirage, Tammo van Lessen

Minutes:
 - Community & Eco system
   - need to attract more committers that drive the development

 - Dynamic OModel
   - current OModel does not support model evolution, hence OModel
changes result in binary incompatibilities. Overcoming these issues is
costly and cumbersome
   - Agreement: Need for a dynamic OModel, possibly based on Key-Value
structures to keep the static class structure independent of possible
OModel changes. The OModel should support migration between OModel
versions and should detect automatically what kind of migrations are
needed. The old OModel should be kept and should be automatically
migrated to the new OModel. Migration is needed since recompilation
would break long-running process models.

 - JPA Refactoring
   - Status (Jeff): needs some final polishing, some tests need to be
fixed in mvn build, then it can be committed to trunk. It supports both,
Hibernate and OpenJPA via JPA 2.0
   - is based on ODE's JPA DAO layer. Tammo has concerns about maturity
   - Agreement: We keep old JPA and hibernate DAOs but will ship with
new JPA DAO as default to get feedback and to continuously improve it.

 - Backports from experimental (FKA ODE 2.0)
   - Former ODE 2.0 has some interesting features that are worth to be
backported

 - Build system
   - Buildr vs. Maven
   - Agreement: Two build systems is one too many. Unclear which one to
choose. Plan is to update the maven build to be as good as buildr and
then run a vote.
   - Current situation: buildr build is fast, stable but people feel
uncomfortable with it. Maven2 build has some issues due to the projects
modularization, Tammo complains about cumbersome plugin configuration.
Jeff, Gary, Milinda prefer Maven, Tammo prefers Buildr.

 - Patches
   - There a a couple of Jiras with patches attached. We should run
through them and try to apply them. They may help to find potential
committers, also they may be low-hanging fruits but greatly improve ODE
(e.g. the <validate> activity implementation).

 - Website
   - Website does not fully implement ASF's trademark policies.
   - Discussion whether to stick with Confluence or to move to ASF's CMS.
   - Gary is concerned about the overhead that is connected with
switching documentation system
   - Milinda has experience with similar Web sites (Axis2) and is
checking if he can find some resources that can work of this. Thanks!

 - Google Summer of Code is a great opportunity to attract new people
and to get some interesting contributions. Please file JIRA issues with
self-contained project ideas and tag them with gsoc2011. They will then
appear on Apache's GSOC ideas list page.

Please check the minutes, they are mainly a brain dump, so I hope I got
everything right.

Thanks,
  Tammo

On 22.03.2011 04:18, Milinda Pathirage wrote:
> Hi Tammo and all,
>
> I think I should be able to host conference call which you can dial-in. I'll
> let you know the status.
>
> Thanks
> Milinda
>
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 9:28 PM, Bob Brodt <bbrodt@redhat.com> wrote: