ode-dev mailing list archives

From Samuel Rose <samuel.r...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Seeking active involvement from the community
Date Sun, 01 Oct 2017 16:16:11 GMT
Greetings did you notice this from last year?:

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7473031/?reload=true

Service-Oriented Multi-tenancy (SO-MT): Enabling Multi-tenancy for
Existing Service Composition Engines with Docker

"In Web Services-based SOAs, BPEL 2.0 is the choice for defining
services by composing existing ones. BPEL-based services can be
directly executed on BPEL engines. With the rise of the cloud,
companies aim to outsource service hosting to cloud providers. To
achieve economies of scale, a cloud provider must host such services
with minimal resources and keep the services from different tenants
isolated. But BPEL engines typically do not support multi-tenancy. As
a result, a vendor either has to extend the engine himself or host
every service on its own (virtual) machine, thereby using either
costly development or computing resources. Our approach solves this
problem by hosting each service in its own isolated and minimal
container which exposes the management functionality through APIs
enabling complex multi-tenancy features or horizontal scaling on top.
We aim to implement this by a) leveraging Docker container to isolate
the services from each other, b) removing unused software from the
container, c) starting the BPEL engine with minimal resources, and d)
extracting management functionality while keeping management APIs. Our
case study with Apache ODE shows that we can save significant runtime
resources with only minor development effort. While this approach
helps in moving SOAs into the cloud, it can also be leveraged to build
resource efficient BPEL-based microservices cheaper."