ode-dev mailing list archives

From Amleto Di Salle <amleto.disa...@univaq.it>
Subject Re: Is it time for Retire Apache ODE?
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2018 09:35:23 GMT
Hi Aaron and all,
I think that your points are very interesting.
For the discussion I would like to add another point: in the
microservices world there is a lot of interest about BPM.
Thus, I would like to contribute (by using some of my spare time) to the
new Apache ODE version.

BR
/Amleto

Il 31/10/2018 06:15, Aaron Anderson ha scritto:
> Hi Sathwik,
> Sorry for the 11th hour request for a reprieve but I am still very much interested in
working on a new 2.0 version of Apache ODE. Apache ODE had visionary design patterns such
as plugable service implementations and the Jacob persistence and concurrency framework. Over
the many years since ODE's inception Java dependency injection has been standardized with
CDI 2.0 and Cloud scale persistence and concurrency has be realized with Apache Ignite.

> When I was developing with Apache ODE six years ago there were several pain points I
experienced:
> 1) Limited or difficult extensibility -  Apache Axis is required along with a supported
JPA database. Theoretically other BPM engines could be built using Jacob but practically ODE
is tightly coupled with BPEL
> 2) Scalability - ODE worked fine with a single node but there were stability issues scaling
it out.

> 3) Process debugging and diagnostics - As an end user debugging and viewing the state
of a running process was difficult and required dropping down to a Java debugger to view the
process state in Java variables.
> The extensibility challenges can addressed using CDI extensions which not only provide
dependency injection but also bean discovery and custom scopes. Apache Ignite can solve the
scaliablity issues as it provides a wide variety of proven distributed computing capabilities
including important persistence and ACID SQL support that has been added within the last year
and a half. I also have a strong idea on how process execution could be implemented to address
the process manageability issues. What would set this new ODE platform apart from other available
orchestration projects is that it would designed with extreme extensibility in mind and serve
more as a general purpose BPM platform that current and future dialects can be built on instead
of designed to solve only a specific BPM requirement.

> I realize I proposed this solution a year ago and unfortunately up until now I was engulfed
in overtime consulting work and internal projects which limited my ability to contribute.
My situation has changed recently and I now have more latitude to work on a second phase of
an internal project that heavily involves process automation.

> I would like to propose that the decision to retire the ODE project be postponed and
that I be given six weeks to finish a prototype ODE BPM platform that I have been working
on that can be evaluated by the ODE PMC members to see if it has merit for continued development
as part of the ODE project.