oltu-dev mailing list archives

From Pid <...@pidster.com>
Subject Re: Roadmap
Date Tue, 15 Jun 2010 10:27:38 GMT
On 15/06/2010 10:28, Simone Tripodi wrote:
> Hi all guys,
>

>> 1. API in "net.oauth." (to be contributed back to the OAuth WG)
>
> My opinion is -1 for the "net.oauth" package since seems to me a
> little out of scopes. Please don't take it personally, but AFAIK we're
> not allowed to use Apache Incubator as a forge where we could create a
> codebase to contribute to some else, maybe our Mentors could explain
> us better :(

The project proposal included a clear statement that the API spec would
be available to others wanting to create an alternative implementation.
 There were no objections to this in principal.

If it's not possible under Apache rules - then can I recommend we
differentiate (somehow, maybe by package) the API from the
implementation such that I can restart a parallel effort in the OAuth WG
to gain acceptance for a Java API spec, for later backport?

> It would be different if OAuth.net already defined an API spec, like
> for example the JAX-RS spec that comes from a JSR.

1. All of the Java implementations so far have been non-standard and
without any effort at either a common API or "Spec only" component.

2. They don't appear to have expertise/interest in doing this
themselves, however, much of the initial interest was from members of
the OAuth WG list in response to my suggestion (to that mailing list)
that a standard Java API was developed.

3. It has to start somewhere.

$0.02