openaz-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Jul 2015 ([ppmc])
Date Tue, 30 Jun 2015 23:05:54 GMT
Le 30/06/15 17:13, DRAGOSH, PAMELA L (PAM) a écrit :
> Colm,
>
> This code when it was first put into Github was already fully functioning. In fact, its
in production at AT&T.

> There was a list of items that were done to get it “Apache-ready”, that included
all the package renaming, and all the formatting that you did. I believe there might be a
few more items that folks want done before the release, we’ll flesh that out soon enough.

Pamela,

I think you don't get it.

What Colm point out, and I would have done the same thing, would have I
posted a response faster, is that this podling has little to no
activity, beside what you and Colm has done in the last few weeks. This
is not good.

We do expect that projects accepted into the incubator start getting
some traction, some new commers to see what's going on, using the
existing code, pointing to errors or proposing patches. So far, none of
that happened, yet. All what we have seen since january is some code
being injected into an Apache repository, some package renaming, and
that's pretty much it.

What we need is not -only- a release, but a full status :
- who is *really* working on the project ?
- what's the roadmap, where is it being discussed ?
- do we have potential new committers, or at least some potential ?
- what is the effort done to expose the project to the world ? (website,
etc) ?

Everything that would make OpenAZ a candidate for a promotion to a TLP,
in other words.

I do understand that OpenAZ is used in production, but this is
irrelevant : what is is how do we build a community around the project,
to maintain it if you have to quite the project. Atm, you are the only
one with Colm who have shawn some involvement into it, and we need at
least 3 person to vote a release. This is not going to fly...

I do think this project is important and deserves a better exposition,
and more effort to make it a vibrant community, beside the original
committers. I don't see that happening, as of today, and I'd like to
know what is going to be done to fix this issue.

Many thanks !
Emmanuel