openoffice-api mailing list archives

From Ariel Constenla-Haile <arie...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Registering EventListeners on Add-on Menu item
Date Tue, 08 Jan 2013 11:44:47 GMT
Hi Mangesh,

On Tue, Jan 08, 2013 at 11:18:17AM +0000, Shukla, Mangesh wrote:
> Hi Ariel, Thanks for the quick reply.  Actually I intend to implement
> this just as you describe. I intend to create an Extension to add my
> own Menu and toolbar items. Also I will be adding some Macros
> (functions which appear in the functions wizard), to the extension.
> The intention to add these UI items, is to transfer the call to the
> external application, so that the data from the external application
> can be populated in the spreadsheet. The actual functionality lies in
> the external application, and I need to get the calls redirected to
> the external application as and when the user invokes the menu
> items/toolbar items/macros in the extension.

Then the proper way to do this seems not to intercept the dispatch
framework; simply implement an extension that communicates to the
external application when it is asked to dispatch; the steps would be:

- the dispatch framework asks your extension to dispatch a certain URL
  when the user executes a menu/toolbar item

- when dispatching, your extension communicates to the external
  application an retrieves the information to populate the spreadsheet

The key point here is the communication between the extension and the
external application. The Zotero extension talks to Zotero,
a bibliographic program for Firexfox (or standalone), does this via
a socket (AFAIK).

Another thing to consider: is this external application already running
on the target system, or are you planning to install the application
together with the extension?

> I have checked the link about the dispatch framework. However it is
> not clear to me, how it could be made to work with a C++ client. Could
> you direct me to some samples to illustrate the behavior.

IIRC there is an example in the SDK, but it's written in Java, and is
rather complicated/obscure. Anyway, I wouldn't suggest to follow this
path of intercepting dispatches in the external application; better
implement an extension that "talks to" this external application.

There are several drawbacks for the other approach:

- the external application will have to be linked to the URE
- the external application will have to bootstrap OpenOffice, or connect
  to a running instance
- etc

Regards
--