openoffice-api mailing list archives

From Bernard Marcelly <marce...@club-internet.fr>
Subject Re: Incompatible change for extensions
Date Wed, 23 Jan 2013 14:08:08 GMT
Message de J├╝rgen Schmidt  date 2013-01-23 10:12 :

> exactly and that means a minor code change and a rebuild. If this kind
> of cleanup changes are not allowed with a major release than we do
> something wrong. You should not forget the benefit for new developers
> that we want to reach. A cleaner and better API is much easier to learn
> for them. Existing developers will have no trouble with adapting the
> changes but all new ones will benefit.

If you were reading real user questions in forums you would be appalled by the
low programming level of those wanting to automate tasks, whether in social
clubs, small businesses, administrations and even big companies. They are often
non-programmers, or young trainees, that create applications that become
indispensable. Don't suppose that they have time and knowledge to quickly debug
a program that used to work for months or years. It will be hard for them to
find out which change happened in the API and how to modify.

If you think that these changes will make the API easier, you are wrong.
OpenOffice API is and will remain huge and complex for the casual programmer,
because it was created by highly qualified programmers, to be understood and
used by their peers; contrary to VBA that is customer oriented.

> On 1/23/13 9:36 AM, Bernard Marcelly wrote:
>> There is not enough good designers; better spend efforts on correcting
>> reported real bugs, or on useful improvements (e.g. a real integration
>> of Python into OpenOffice, like Basic; or add the new dialog controls in
>> the IDE toolbox).
>
> feel free to join the project and help to improve things like the Python
> support, or improving the basic IDE. Remember volunteers are working on
> the code base and you can't force them what they should do.
>
> It's funny that people request and take more than they gave back. Really
> if you think certain areas of the program need improvements please join
> us and help to improve it.

I know my limits. I don't have the knowledge to modify OpenOffice code and don't
like C++ as a language.
I can say that I have given back a lot since 2003. Up to now 275 bugs reported;
thousands of answers in users-fr, prog-fr mailing-lists, french and english web
forums; corrections/improvements in the Wiki Dev'Guide and Basic Programming
Guide; a french book of 900 pages demystifying OpenOffice programming; several
free tools that help API users.
I am not the only one with such background, others have done same in other
countries/languages. I am just giving my advice: you are on the wrong path.

Regards
   Bernard