openoffice-api mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Incompatible change for extensions
Date Thu, 24 Jan 2013 23:44:06 GMT
Rob Weir wrote:
> I also like the idea of marking a function as deprecated, maybe even
> supporting the new and old together for a release, to give time for
> transition.

If at all feasible, I would be for this. Ideally, we should be able to
install a legacy extension by: recognizing it's using legacy APIs or
conventions; displaying a warning; running it anyway, trying to be as
compatible as possible.

Then of course I don't know how much of this is realistically
feasible... but Hans is right, the ecosystem is extremely important and
even unsupported extensions can have a high value for end users (while
from a technical point of view it's hard to disagree with Juergen and
Ariel).

Regards,
   Andrea.