openoffice-api mailing list archives

From Amenel VOGLOZIN <waav_zoungla-o...@yahoo.fr>
Subject Re: Description.xml/Version propper user
Date Fri, 08 May 2015 11:04:02 GMT
Hi,

Like Stephan Bergmann, I also think that the current test for newer version cannot remain
as it is.

I have adopted the version scheme based on the date as Andrea recommended. But I am quite
uncomfortable with:
1- effectively asking the entire extension developer community to adopt a version scheme just
so they can work;
2- having an "overlook"/mistake/comparison bug remaining in some code that does not implement
the intended action.

Is there an entry about this in the issue tracker?

Regards,
-Amenel.
      De : Stephan Bergmann <sbergman@redhat.com>
 À : api@openoffice.apache.org
 Envoyé le : Vendredi 8 mai 2015 8h42
 Objet : Re: Description.xml/Version propper user

On 05/02/2015 08:47 AM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> On 30/04/2015 Alexandro Colorado wrote:
>> According to description.xml
>> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/DevGuide/Extensions/Description_of_XML_Elements#Element_.2Fdescription.2Fversion
>>
>> The following is described: Required. A textual representation of the
>> extension version. ... I want to confirm the policy and propper use of
>> the
>> metadata according to the application.
>
> I think it is simply a string, compared within OpenOffice using a string
> comparison (which is not optimal: if you have version "99.0" and version
> "100.0", version 100.0 comes before 99.0 since it starts with a "1").

The intent of course is that "100.0" is considered greater than "99.0",
and the actual code should also implement that correctly (cf.
desktop/qa/deployment_misc/test_dp_version.cxx).

However, I see that "A total order is defined on versions via
lexicographical comparison"
(<https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/DevGuide/Extensions/Extension_Versions>)

can be mis-interpreted.  What is meant is a lexicographical ordering
over the alphabet of natural numbers, not digits-and-dots characters.