openoffice-api mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Description.xml/Version propper user
Date Sat, 02 May 2015 06:47:49 GMT
On 30/04/2015 Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> According to description.xml
> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/DevGuide/Extensions/Description_of_XML_Elements#Element_.2Fdescription.2Fversion
> The following is described: Required. A textual representation of the
> extension version. ... I want to confirm the policy and propper use of the
> metadata according to the application.

I think it is simply a string, compared within OpenOffice using a string
comparison (which is not optimal: if you have version "99.0" and version
"100.0", version 100.0 comes before 99.0 since it starts with a "1").

I use "YYYY.MM.DD" like Marco, so "2015.05.02". It is fine to use "0.1",
"0.2" and similar but "0.9" is not considered to come before "0.10" so
keep that in mind. I believe more exotic numbering like "0.9-alpha2" is
not accepted by the Extensions site, but is accepted by OpenOffice.

It's been a few years since I last looked at this, but I don't think
things have changed much. At the time, I settled for using "YYYY.MM.DD"
and I've been consistently using that pattern.

Regards,
   Andrea.