openoffice-api mailing list archives

From Stephan Bergmann <sberg...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Description.xml/Version propper user
Date Fri, 08 May 2015 06:42:51 GMT
On 05/02/2015 08:47 AM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> On 30/04/2015 Alexandro Colorado wrote:
>> According to description.xml
>> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/DevGuide/Extensions/Description_of_XML_Elements#Element_.2Fdescription.2Fversion
>>
>> The following is described: Required. A textual representation of the
>> extension version. ... I want to confirm the policy and propper use of
>> the
>> metadata according to the application.
>
> I think it is simply a string, compared within OpenOffice using a string
> comparison (which is not optimal: if you have version "99.0" and version
> "100.0", version 100.0 comes before 99.0 since it starts with a "1").

The intent of course is that "100.0" is considered greater than "99.0",
and the actual code should also implement that correctly (cf.
desktop/qa/deployment_misc/test_dp_version.cxx).

However, I see that "A total order is defined on versions via
lexicographical comparison"
(<https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/DevGuide/Extensions/Extension_Versions>)

can be mis-interpreted.  What is meant is a lexicographical ordering
over the alphabet of natural numbers, not digits-and-dots characters.