openoffice-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Kay Schenk <>
Subject Re: Releasing OOo 3.4 on the old infrastructure
Date Sun, 03 Jul 2011 22:32:02 GMT

On 07/03/2011 10:35 AM, Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 11:27 AM, Andrea Pescetti<>wrote:
>> On 19/06/2011 Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>>> Would it be possible to release OOo 3.4 on the old (Oracle-owned)
>>> infrastructure, and maybe take advantage of this release to educate
>>> users and volunteers about the coming new infrastructure at Apache?
>>> ... I take for granted that the community would support this proposal
>>> (for one, the Italian community spent weeks to get the OOo 3.4 strings
>>> 100% translated into Italian, and our QA team is ready to start full
>>> testing any moment). Would developers and release managers support this
>>> too?
>> All reactions on this old mail I sent have been positive, but we still
>> miss an answer from developers. In my opinion this is an occasion not to
>> miss for at least the following three reasons, comments welcome.
>> 1) Releasing 3.4 must not be seen as the last activity on
>>    the old infrastructure, but as the first activity of the new Apache
>>    project. Dozens of tools are used to coordinate an OOo release, and
>>    for us experienced OOo volunteers it will surely be better to explain
>>    and revise tools and processes in front of a concrete example rather
>>    than describing them in abstract to new members.
>> 2) 3.4 is mostly ready. I built the latest code from hg
>>    a couple weeks ago and I've regularly used it so far. The quality is
>>    good and there is no risk of damaging the OOo reputation. All
>>    release stoppers are bugs that will have to be fixed anyway, and
>>    fixing them later will require the same amount of time.
>> 3) The amazing people who joined this project cover all areas needed
>>    for a successful release. This is the only group that can coordinate
>>    a successful release (bugfixing, QA, distribution) of
>>    3.4, and use the experience to educate old and new community members
>>    to the Apache way and, on the other side, to the OOo processes.
>> We have a huge community that is ready now and that becomes very active
>> only when a release is in sight (and that would surely be committed to
>> extra effort, if needed, this time): it would be a risky move, both for
>> communication and for involvement of volunteers, to have them waiting
>> for a long time before we can ask them to help us release a new version.
>> Any reasons not to try?

Well, I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to at this moment. 
Actually putting new code on Apache? and then, can you detail how you 
think it will get distributed to end users if this was done? Right now, 
the whole "download" process on the old OO.o site is really VERY 
involved. So, this is why I'm asking.

 From my perspective as an end user, I would rather stay with what I 
know where I know it (the existing site) and have it work rather than not.

>> Regards,
>>    Andrea.
> Well Joost (QA Manager) is not on the list, although I saw Stefan Taxteh
> submiting for an apache ID which means he is around. I wonder who would be
> needed to speak on this.


"He's got that New Orleans thing crawling all over him, that good stuff,
  that 'We Are the Champions', to hell with the rest and
  I'll just start over kind of attitude."
                   -- "1 Dead in the Attic", Chris Rose

View raw message