openoffice-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Alexandro Colorado <>
Subject Re: Releasing OOo 3.4 on the old infrastructure
Date Sun, 03 Jul 2011 17:35:55 GMT
On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 11:27 AM, Andrea Pescetti <>wrote:

> On 19/06/2011 Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> > Would it be possible to release OOo 3.4 on the old (Oracle-owned)
> > infrastructure, and maybe take advantage of this release to educate
> > users and volunteers about the coming new infrastructure at Apache?
> > ... I take for granted that the community would support this proposal
> > (for one, the Italian community spent weeks to get the OOo 3.4 strings
> > 100% translated into Italian, and our QA team is ready to start full
> > testing any moment). Would developers and release managers support this
> > too?
> All reactions on this old mail I sent have been positive, but we still
> miss an answer from developers. In my opinion this is an occasion not to
> miss for at least the following three reasons, comments welcome.
> 1) Releasing 3.4 must not be seen as the last activity on
>   the old infrastructure, but as the first activity of the new Apache
>   project. Dozens of tools are used to coordinate an OOo release, and
>   for us experienced OOo volunteers it will surely be better to explain
>   and revise tools and processes in front of a concrete example rather
>   than describing them in abstract to new members.
> 2) 3.4 is mostly ready. I built the latest code from hg
>   a couple weeks ago and I've regularly used it so far. The quality is
>   good and there is no risk of damaging the OOo reputation. All
>   release stoppers are bugs that will have to be fixed anyway, and
>   fixing them later will require the same amount of time.
> 3) The amazing people who joined this project cover all areas needed
>   for a successful release. This is the only group that can coordinate
>   a successful release (bugfixing, QA, distribution) of
>   3.4, and use the experience to educate old and new community members
>   to the Apache way and, on the other side, to the OOo processes.
> We have a huge community that is ready now and that becomes very active
> only when a release is in sight (and that would surely be committed to
> extra effort, if needed, this time): it would be a risky move, both for
> communication and for involvement of volunteers, to have them waiting
> for a long time before we can ask them to help us release a new version.
> Any reasons not to try?
> Regards,
>   Andrea.
Well Joost (QA Manager) is not on the list, although I saw Stefan Taxteh
submiting for an apache ID which means he is around. I wonder who would be
needed to speak on this.

*Alexandro Colorado*
** EspaƱol

  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message