openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Mathias Bauer <Mathias_Ba...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: OOO340 to svn - directory setup
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2011 19:23:36 GMT
On 03.08.2011 10:38, IngridvdM wrote:

> Am 03.08.2011 10:24, schrieb Stephan Bergmann:
>> On Aug 3, 2011, at 8:45 AM, IngridvdM wrote:
>>> Ok agreed, binfilter is not the best example.
>>> But what about the general idea to have a second directory where we can place
all the stuff that is not needed to build the main office (so not needed in the usual day
to day work of a code developer), but anyhow belongs to the product and to each codeline/release.
>>> Maybe templates or some extensions could qualify for this stuff. Maybe we have
nothing right now but my point is, if we identify such things later I do not want to clutter
the directory structure with more and more directories next to trunk.

>> Remember, with svn the complete directory structure can always be changed.  So I
see no need to come up with a perfect solution up front.

> It is not only svn to think about. When it comes to building and
> packaging and creation of release branches there is easily a lot of
> scripting involved. Those things are often not so nice to change
> afterwards. So may we can think a day or two about a good directory
> structure before. ;-)

As Stephan wrote, the structure can be changed easily afterwards.
Building and packaging should follow dependencies (after all that was
the idea of our new build environment) and so the directory structure is
of second order importance.

Besides that I agree that moving parts that are already known to be no
part of the regular OOo installation set into separate top level
directories makes sense. We just shouldn't dive too deep into that now.

Regards,
Mathias