openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: [WWW] Web analytics
Date Fri, 12 Aug 2011 21:48:44 GMT
Am 08/12/2011 10:42 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 4:14 PM, Eike Rathke<ooo@erack.de>  wrote:
>> Hi Rob,

>>> I think it is an essential tool to optimizing the web experience for
>>> our visitors.  It is part of a feedback loop where we look at the
>>> traffic stats, how our website is actually being used, the
>>> demographics of the visitors, etc., and then iteratively improve the
>>> website to make it more useful.
>>
>> So first question is: analytics yes or no, which affects also the
>> Privacy Policy.
>>
>>> On the question of Piwik (open source, used, for example by
>>> LibreOffice) versus Google Analytics,  I'm very familiar with Google,
>>> so I could help more there.  But I don't have an informed opinion on
>>> the virtues of each.  I've never heard of Piwik until today.
>>
>> The big difference is that with Piwik the data collected stays inhouse
>> at Apache, whereas with Google it goes to Google that does whatever you
>> don't know. This again implies that at Apache measures must be taken to
>> protect the privacy of collected data. The German "Landeszentrum für
>> Datenschutz Schleswig-Holstein" (center of data protection) has a few
>> documents about tracking [1], unfortunately only in German, why Google
>> Analytics doesn't comply with the German data protection law [2] and how
>> Piwik can be configured to be used in compliance with the law [3].
>>

> Does this law matter if the servers are hosted in the US, not in
> Germany?  (I'm assuming that the Apache servers are in the US).

No, but it not a secret that the protection of private data is, hm, not
the best in the US compared with other. So, why stick with this?

> Storing the data ourselves is a double-edged sword.  If we store it,
> then we are responsible for any problems with that data.

I don't think that would be more difficult than what Apache is storing
anyway (mail addresses, user names, passwords). I don't think that we
would be interested in IP addresses, postal addresses, etc.

The main part would be to know the user's browser data (OS, language,
browser app and version). For me no special data that should get special
treated.

> Google states what they can do with the data, but it is rather broad,
> as you know.

When you are really concerned about protection of private data, then you
wouldn't use Google Analytics. ;-)

>> [1] https://www.datenschutzzentrum.de/tracking/
>> [2] https://www.datenschutzzentrum.de/tracking/20090123_GA_stellungnahme.pdf
>> [3] https://www.datenschutzzentrum.de/tracking/piwik/