openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: [WWW] Web analytics
Date Sat, 13 Aug 2011 09:32:03 GMT
Am 08/13/2011 03:49 AM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 7:01 PM, Marcus (OOo)<marcus.mail@wtnet.de>  wrote:
>> Am 08/13/2011 12:30 AM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> <snip>
>>> Remember, even if we used Piwik, the data would be in the US.  All
>>> user accounts for Apache, all wiki accounts, all mailing lists
>>> subscription data, etc., is in the US.  We have a jurisdiction.
>>
>> So, it's in our hands to protect them and don't have to trust others
>> (companies).
>>

> That's an interesting question.  Trust Google or trust ourselves?
> Where do you keep your retirement savings?  In a bank?  Or under your
> bed?
>
> I think Google has the incentive and the investment to ensure the
> security of the data.  If they screw it up, they lose billions.  If we
> screw it up, we say "whoops".  Which gives the visitors the best
> assurances?

Loosing billions? Hm, when I thought about the last news about data
theft (like Sony with their PSN problem, Citibank has lost data of their
customers, Apple has problems with the iPhone that collects a "little
bit" too much data). So what? These companies are still alive.

> Of course, you could argue that Google is the larger target, and more
> people are trying to hack Google than are trying to hack Apache.  But
> that also means that Google has more resources deployed to harden
> their services against hacking.
>
> There are not perfect choices here.  But I still keep my money in the bank.

Me too. But I don't choose any bank. I look deep in the market and only
banks with a clean behavior are in my choice to store my millions. I
really try to think twice.

I don't carry something to someone who is making noise about his
business. I wouldn't really trust them. You know, don't talk about
things you are doing, just do it. ;-)

BTW:
I would suggest to end this dicussion here as it goes into a wrong
direction: too much of politics. ;-)

Marcus

Marcus