openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: openoffice.org domains transferred to ASF
Date Wed, 17 Aug 2011 20:40:33 GMT
Am 08/17/2011 10:00 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 2:55 PM, Shane Curcuru<asf@shanecurcuru.org>  wrote:
>> Dear PPMC: please note that a few days ago Oracle and the ASF signed the
>> legal agreement to transfer ownership of a variety of ooo related domain
>> names to the ASF.  Yay!
>>
>> Along with the other great work on moving content, you need to work with
>> infrastructure@ to ensure that the actual domain name registration ownership
>> is transferred to the Apache infrastructure team - at least, for any domain
>> names that the podling definitely wants to continue using.
>>
>> The list of domains includes:
>>
>> http://openoffice.org
>> http://testopenoffice.org
>> http://openoffice2009.com
>> http://openoffice-gratuit.com
>> http://openoffice-pt.com
>> http://openoffice-pl.com
>> http://openoffice-nl.com
>> http://openoffice-fr.com
>> http://openoffice09fr.com
>> http://de-openoffice.org
>> http://deopenoffice.org
>> http://www-open-office.org
>> http://wwwopen-office.org
>> http://de-openoffice.com
>> http://deopenoffice.com
>> http://es-openoffice.com
>> http://esopenoffice.com
>> http://fr-openoffice.com
>> http://fropenoffice.com
>> http://it-openoffice.com
>> http://itopenoffice.com
>> http://en-openoffice.org
>> http://enopenoffice.org
>> http://es-openoffice.org
>> http://esopenoffice.org
>> http://fr-openoffice.org
>> http://it-openoffice.org
>> http://itopenoffice.org
>> http://nl-openoffice.org
>> http://nlopenoffice.org
>> http://openoffice.org.il
>> http://itopenoffice.org
>>

> Most of these don't appear to have much independent content.  I wonder
> whether something like this would be more maintainable going forward,
> to have a destination page for each language:
>
> Assuming our eventual TLP home is:  http://openoffice.apache.org, then
> we could have:
>
> http://openoffice.apache.org/de
> http://openoffice.apache.org/es
> http://openoffice.apache.org/pl
> http://openoffice.apache.org/it
>
> and so on.
>
> Then have the existing domain names redirect to these.

Yes, should be a good way to have one home that we have to maintain but
some redirects when a user has spelled the domain name not 100% correctly.

> Alternatively, we could do this via openoffice.org addresses:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/de
> http://www.openoffice.org/es
> http://www.openoffice.org/pl
> http://www.openoffice.org/it
>
> or even via subdomains:
>
> http://de.openoffice.org/
> http://es.openoffice.org/
> http://pl.openoffice.orgl
> http://it.openoffice.org/
>
> Any committer should be able to add a new language at
> http://www.openoffice.org/foo, but wouldn't adding a new subdomain
> require working with Apache Infra.  Or is there some magic we can do

My favorite way would be the [language].openoffice.org pattern as it
looks better and more professional.

However, if it is way easier maintainance to have the
www.openoffice.org/[language] pattern, then we should go this way.

> with Apache server to make these map automatically via a rule?
>
> But I think this all leads back to the same basic question:  Do we
> want users to have a different home page than project volunteers?  I
> think so.  But we can still do that page via markdown, stored in SVN.

I haven't seen other voices in the past. So I think it is agreed in the
meantime.

Marcus