openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: [Discussion] dev@openoffice.org
Date Fri, 19 Aug 2011 15:57:26 GMT
Am 08/19/2011 05:33 PM, schrieb TJ Frazier:
> Hi, Marcus
>
> On 8/19/2011 09:12, Marcus (OOo) wrote:
>> Am 08/19/2011 02:48 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
>>> As my preceding forwards indicate, we're getting some interesting
>>> posts to dev@openoffice.org, including offers of help, but they are
>>> not getting adequate responses. We're missing opportunities here to
>>> grow the project.
>>>
>>> Is there anything we can do to improve this?
>>>
>>> 1) Continue as now, and I'll forward "interesting" posts to ooo-dev?
>>>
>>> 2) Send a note to dev@openoffice.org telling them that we've moved
>>> over to ooo-dev and inviting them to join?
>>
>> It's OK for everyone who is still subscribed to that ML. But not
>> everyone who wants to participate is already subscribed.
>>
>>> 3) Auto-responder for dev@openoffice.org telling them that we've moved
>>> over to ooo-dev?
>>
>> Not a good solution in the case of spam. They would get an answer, know
>> that it's a valid address and start mass spamming.
>>
>> E.g., I'm still managing the dev@distribution.oo.o and
>> mirrors@distribution.oo.o ML and 99% is spam (up to 20 per day).
>>

> Are you doing any spam-reporting? I do that for almost every piece I
> receive, here at home, and get maybe one/month.
>
> C. and I had a running dispute as to how useful it would be, to chase
> down spammers on the wiki (instead of just blocking them). I didn't have
> access to the email addresses, so he won; we didn't.
>
> If I can be of any help, please feel free to email me directly. I've
> never done any ML moderating or managing, but (famous last words) how
> hard can it be? --/tj/

They're moderated ML, so I don't do anything  with the mails. When you
reject anything then they got a reply and know it's a valid address.

I use the spam feature of Thunderbird to train the internal spam filter.
Today nearly all got into my spam folder. Here I just need to look for
false positives, otherwise delete finally. That's it.

After a while the mails get also deleted automatically in the ML system
without any reply back to the sender.

Marcus