openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: [Discussion] dev@openoffice.org
Date Fri, 19 Aug 2011 17:57:07 GMT
Am 08/19/2011 07:29 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 12:50 PM, Marcus (OOo)<marcus.mail@wtnet.de>  wrote:
>> Am 08/19/2011 06:34 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
>
> <snip>
>
>>> So why wouldn't we want to shut down that list?
>>
>> Why are you asking when you want to do it anyway? ;-)
>>

> Clearly I have my own opinion on this.  But I'd like to understand the
> counter-argument, if there is one.

OK, didn't knew this.

>>> Real posts at dev@openoffice.org are infrequent and are not getting
>>> responded to.   But ooo-dev is clearly where the thriving dev
>>> discussion is occurring.
>>>
>>> Aren't these good reasons to consolidate the dev discussion in one
>>> place? Is there any advantage to have it be fragmented across two
>>> lists, especially if one list is mainly getting spam?
>>
>> If so, it would be the same reason to shutdown also other mailing lists. So,
>> we could do it will all.
>
> I think the dev list is special, because we have an active Apache list
> that has the identical purpose. The same is not true for many other
> OO.org lists.

There is nothing special. For OOo we had hundreds of ML to keep the
traffic in the right channels.

Her at AOO we have only one. So all traffic (and it's more than just dev
related) into 1 ML.

For me there is no real difference.

>> As Mathias said, the shutdown will happen anyway. No need to force it.
>>

> We are currently missing opportunities when new volunteers post to the
> other list and do not get a response.  Also, existing subscribers to
> the dev@openoffice.org list are missing out on the discussions we are
> having regarding things like reorganizing the source repository, etc.
>
> The goal should be to encourage existing subscribers to move over to

You have told this already. Then just write a note to dev@ooo; if
Mathias hasn't done it already. ;-)

> ooo-dev.  There are several ways of doing this.  An announcement, like
> Matthias sent, is a good thing.  Maybe also update this page:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/mail_list.html
>
> For lists that have been migrated,  put instructions there on how to
> subscribe to the Apache list.

Good point, let me see if I can do something. But to have a real success
we need to make this change everywhere. And IMHO this is not possible;
or at least it's a not maintainable effort.

> If we delay shutting down the list until a later point, that is fine
> with me.  I just wanted to see if anyone thought there was a reason to
> preserve the list longer-term.

OK

Marcus