openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: users@openoffice.org [Was: Re: [Discussion] dev@openoffice.org]
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2011 09:11:35 GMT
Am 08/23/2011 02:18 AM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 7:46 PM, Dave Fisher<dave2wave@comcast.net>  wrote:
>> The changes are good at showing where we are as developers.
>>
>> The unfortunate point is that users@openoffice.org is still a functional list with
several posts in a day and the change is hiding that list.

>> Until there is ooo-users@i.a.o we shouldn't hide users@ooo.
>>
>> Does anyone think we should wait to create ooo-users?
>>

> I've been wondering the same thing.  I started following
> users@openoffice.org around a week ago.  It is getting some traffic,
> but not a lot.
>
> I think the larger question is this:  How do we want to support users?
>   Mailing list?  Forums?  Both?
>
> There are some advantages to getting the user questions all in one
> place.  That gives a single place for us to monitor.  It also gives a
> single place for users to search to see if their questions had been
> previously asked/answered, etc.
>
> Since we are dealing in many cases with less technical end users, the
> mailing list interface itself will require support, e.g., users unable
> to figure out how to unsubscribe.  Since the support forum does not
> require subscription, that is one less thing to worry about.

Right, I don't see any benefit to use a mailing list as normal user. You
cannot search for others that have the same thing; unless you explain
the users how and where to search.

And very often they write to the list but aren't subscribed. So they
don't get the answer unless someone is CC'ing them.

In a forum all in one place. You can search, write and can get answers.
It's up to us if a subscription is needed. It would work without.

Furthermore, I don't think that mailing lists are common for the average
user. But forums are.

> What if we just had support forums, but no users list?  Would we miss
> anything?  Would users?  Note that phpBB forums allow a person to
> subscribe to a forum or a topic, so those who want to receive emails
> can.  But they would need to go back to the forum website to respond.

I don't think that we or the users would miss anything because there is
no chance to miss something as the communitation method is not existing.

Marcus

I've

be sufficient to delete the "Users Mail List" row and to keep the "General OOo Mail Lists"
row as it points already to the modified webpage.

>>> Really? ;-)
old MLs have lost a lot of users/posts.

Users Mail List on the OOo site?

>>> The data is still there. It's just the collected link list that is no longer
present/visible.

and then [2] checked into to [3].

>>> But until this all isn't live it won't help to bring over the possible new dev's.
I think it's OK to start now to point to the new mailing list(s).

[4]