openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: users@openoffice.org [Was: Re: [Discussion] dev@openoffice.org]
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2011 14:05:15 GMT
Am 08/23/2011 03:29 PM, schrieb Eike Rathke:
> Hi Marcus,
>
> On Tuesday, 2011-08-23 11:11:35 +0200, Marcus (OOo) wrote:
>
>> And very often they write to the list but aren't subscribed. So they
>> don't get the answer unless someone is CC'ing them.
>
> That actually is a failure of how the list is setup when it has Reply-To
> pointing to the mailing list address (AKA Reply-To mangling). Without
> Reply-To a Reply-All goes to the sender and the mailing list.

Maybe, but they are still not subscribed. So the moderator has to let
the posts through; again and again until the user is subscribed.

>> In a forum all in one place. You can search, write and can get
>> answers. It's up to us if a subscription is needed. It would work
>> without.
>>
>> Furthermore, I don't think that mailing lists are common for the
>> average user. But forums are.
>
> Mailing lists are much more accepted by those who actually help because
> handling is much easier than any web forum. You can setup your own
> scoring, flags, delete unimportant stuff in your personal archive and so
> on. To get the best of both worlds best would be a forum gated to
> a mailing list and vice versa. Searching the mailing list would also be
> possible at mail-archive.com, or gmane..

Not before they got to know how this is working. In a forum it is
obvious. All is in one place.

>>> What if we just had support forums, but no users list?  Would we miss
>>> anything?  Would users?  Note that phpBB forums allow a person to
>>> subscribe to a forum or a topic, so those who want to receive emails
>>> can.  But they would need to go back to the forum website to respond.
>
> And that just sucks.
>
>> I don't think that we or the users would miss anything because there
>> is no chance to miss something as the communitation method is not
>> existing.
>
> Well, I try to avoid forums whenever possible.

And there are users that try to avoid mailing lists. ;-)

At the end it seems the best solution is still to go 2 ways: ML and forum.

Marcus