openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: [discuss][www][wiki] Native-lang sites was Web, WIki, and Participation
Date Sun, 28 Aug 2011 22:37:15 GMT

names@openoffice.org for forwarding and in preservation of the web site (possibly at a part
of the podling site that is targeted by www.openoffice.org) ?

> DISCUSSION
>
> It was rbircher who did all of that work to move over the /de part of the site.
>
> I have three concerns:
>
>   1. All of the replacement of copyright and license information that appears to have
been done automatically.  We are being heavy-handed with that and need to step back and get
clear on what is both legal (I don't think these sites are in the Oracle grant, although the
domain name is transferred), responsible, and respectful.

>   2. Subject Matter: Looking at the wide variety of pages in the /de material, for example,
I think a great deal of it, perhaps even most of it, is not particularly appropriate in terms
of an Apache project.  There is considerable material which strikes me as "downstream" relative
to what Apache releases release.

>    3. I thank Rafael for that effort.  It gives us a reality check on all that is involved
and how we need to consider some sort of differentiation between the openoffice.org face to
the world and the kind of face to the world from a development project that is more appropriate
on apache.org.  I think both are critical for openoffice.org.

AFAIR we wanted to bring over the entire website content and then look
what is OK and can survice. So, what is not Apache compatible we have to
delete now.

Otherwise we would start with some pages discuss many things and could
make 1-2 pages per week which wouldn't be very motivating. ;-)

>    3.1 As we find more and more cross-dependencies, I maintain that there is good cause
to preserve and support openoffice.org as the face to (and from) the broader community of
adopters, evangelists/marketers, and institutions/businesses that are engaged with openoffice.org.

+1

Marcus

>    3.2 I think both sites are needed, with distinct identities.  (I can even imagine
openoffice.org being spun out but I think that is too disruptive to consider at this time.
 The community needs some stable footing before we adjust too much.  Just tying to the Apache
podling and then the Apache Top-Level Project is going to be more than enough.)

>    3.3 I'm not sure how a mapping to the wiki would work, but I think it should be gradual
with retargeting of pages on the web site as appropriate.  (My sense is that MediaWiki is
up to the task and there can be locked pages that are not publicly editable.)