openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: Access to wiki
Date Sun, 07 Aug 2011 15:46:25 GMT
On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 8:39 AM, Simon Phipps <simon@webmink.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 6, 2011 at 10:11 PM, Rob Weir <apache@robweir.com> wrote:
>

>> Maybe I'm too skeptical,  but do we really have thousands of non core
>> project members dropping in for minutes at a time, adding information
>> on the architecture of OOo?  And build instructions? Looking at the
>> history of these pages, it looks more like this is core dev-enabling
>> information that should be part of the core project website
>

> "Thousands" is hyperbole. The wiki has been a meta-community resource

I'd be happy for someone to to provide a more accurate number.  First
I was told that there were 35,000 wiki accounts.  Then I was told that
only 15,000 users who have contributed content.  Then I was told that
there were "thousands"  of contributors.  Then I looked at the recent
history and found only 2 people making edits in recent weeks.  Then I
was told that there were many more.  I asked for more how many unique
contributors we had year to date.  I was told the admin didn't have
time to produce that data.

So it seems that when we talk about the risks of increasing
requirements on contributors then we have "thousands" of contributors
who would be harmed.  But then when we talk about the risks of having
"thousands" of contributors making contributions without any license
requirement, then we're told that "thousands" is a hyperbole.
Hmmm...

> throughout the history of the project, and shutting it down so the only way
> to use it is to sign up to Apache is the wrong move. I see a whole lot of
> YAGNI thinking going on here. How about adopting the principle of being as
> permissive as possible until there's a problem that needs solving?

I agree that we should be as permissive as possible, but consistent
with the need to produce documentation and other project publications
that are authoritative, compatibly licensed, and approved by the PPMC.
 There may be other pages on the wiki where these concerns do not
apply, and those can be handled differently.  But it is faulty logic,
a false dichotomy, that suggests we either do everything as it was
before or we "shut it down so the only way to use it is to sign up to
Apache".

-Rob