openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject An example of what's wrong up with the wiki
Date Sun, 07 Aug 2011 16:30:40 GMT
As mentioned before I'm concerned with the concentration of power on
the wiki, with a few moderators/admins having arbitrary power over
content, even though they have not signed the iCLA, are not committers
and have not been appointed by the PPMC.  So there is arbitrary
authority, with no accountability.  Having a system like this
abdicates the PPMC's responsibility for providing oversight to our
Apache-hosted project websites.

I posted a new FAQ on the wiki today.  This was to demonstrate that
anyone could post anything on the wiki, under any license.

The post was quickly taken down and my account was permanently
blocked.  This was done by someone who is not a PPMC member. In fact
this was a person who recently announced that he was leaving the
project because they had no time to participate.  But evidently there
is no process for removing someone's super-user permissions once they
claim to have left the project.   There was no discussion on the
ooo-dev or ooo-private about the content removal.  Nor was there any
discussion of the account ban.  It was just done.

This is not how Commit Then Review works at Apache.   This proves my
point that we need to have all wiki users with permissions over other
users to be Committers.  Only committers should have the ability to
revert content made by other committers.  And this should only be done
with discussion.

-Rob