openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: Access to wiki
Date Sun, 07 Aug 2011 14:49:21 GMT
On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 6:21 AM, Eike Rathke <ooo@erack.de> wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> On Saturday, 2011-08-06 21:05:49 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
>
>>  It is much more than just 2 categories, official or unofficial doc.
>> Looking around I see things like:
>>
>> a) Official doc (current)
>> b) Official doc (obsolete)
>> c) Doc in progress (active)
>> d) Doc in progress (abandoned)
>> e) Project planning docs
>> f)  Pages related directly to the development of the product, e.g.,
>> build instructions, architecture notes, coding standards, etc.
>> g) Marketing and event related pages
>> h) Pages related to the governance of the project, e.g., minutes from
>> engineering steering committee meetings, etc.
>> i) Biography/home pages for project volunteers
>> j) And probably many other categories

I just noticed this page, listing the page categories in the wiki.
This is another way of looking at the range of content:

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ACategoryTree&target=MainIndex&mode=categories&dotree=Show+tree

> Given this list I see the following categories:
>
> A) Apache OOo committers only, with comments/discussion enabled for
>   everyone with a wiki account.
> B) Contributed 3rd party material, unsure which edit rights those should
>   be assigned.
> C) Community wiki editable for everyone with a wiki account under AL2 or
>   a permissive license.

I'm not sure I see the difference between B and C?  When a 3rd party
edits the wiki then they are contributing 3rd party material.

> D) Museum, read-only pages that can be revived and moved to one of the
>   other categories.
> E) Dump. Pages that were contributed under licenses that are not
>   permissive in an Apache project.
>
> Material of categories:
>
> A: a, e, f, h
> B: TBD, e.g. the ODFAuthors documentation
> C: c, g, i, j
> D: b, d
> E: TBD
>

>> 1) Migrate the wiki off of Oracle and on to Apache machines.  But
>> pending further consensus, keep it read-only except to committers.
>>
>> 2) At the same time, make the Oracle-hosted version be read-only.
>>
>> 3) Figure out the minimal number of changes necessary for the PPMC to
>> have consensus that Oracle can shut down their server and switch the
>> domain to point to the Apache version. This might include things like
>> branding, license, policies, appointment/confirmation of
>> admins/moderators, etc.
>>
>> 4) Prepare notification to community about the new website.
>>
>> 5) Go live, along with notification to community
>
> Sounds like a plan. Though for 1) consensus should be reached quickly to
> not put contributors off.

Agreed.  Right now there is almost no wiki edits.  But we'll need the
have the wiki ready in time for the expected increase in activity
around the first AOOo release.  So that suggests we have a few months.