openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: Migrating the web forums at user.services.openoffice.org to Apache servers
Date Sun, 07 Aug 2011 23:29:05 GMT
On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 6:25 PM, Simon Phipps <simon@webmink.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 6, 2011 at 10:31 PM, Rob Weir <apache@robweir.com> wrote:
>

>> However, I would request that we be careful about the branding on the
>> forums, since they are part of the Apache project.  For example, the
>> titles of the forums today are "OpenOffice.org Community Forum".
>> Maybe call them instead "Apache OpenOffice.org Support Forum" ?
>>
>> Also, the internal subtitle is "User community support forum for
>> OpenOffice.org, LibreOffice, StarOffice, and NeoOffice". (Note also
>> that this subtitle is not consistent across the languages.)   I think
>> that is unnecessarily restrictive.  It could safely be omitted.
>>

> Surely the net effect of these two changes taken together would be more,
> rather than less restrictive?

By naming some products, but not others, we're being arbitrarily
restrictive.  But listing the actual product under whose aegis this
forum is hosted is merely being accurate.  Whether the forums are
restrictive or not will depend on the behavior of forum participants
to questions from users of products other than Apache OpenOffice.  As
stated before, I hoping we'll be helpful where we can, and refer users
to the respective projects otherwise.

I'd be equally happy with a neutral: "User community support forum for
Apache OpenOffice.org and related products".

-Rob