openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Mwiki possible name change.
Date Mon, 14 Jan 2013 22:14:21 GMT

On 01/14/2013 01:52 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 3:09 PM, janI <jani@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> I want to inform the community about an ongoing discussion in Infra
>> regarding the use of "wiki.openoffice.org" or "wiki.openoffice.apache.org"
>>
>> Background: We decided sometime ago to let me upgrade mwiki, which I did,
>> with great help from many in here.
>>
>> After that there has been a relatively high load on the VM (very positive)
>> and bi-daily kernel panics due to lack of resources.
>>
>> It was then decided to make a new VM with a new ubuntu, instead of an
>> upgrade in place (to get rid of the kernel panic) which I deemed risky due
>> to the state (and documentation) of the installation.
>>
>> I have completed the work with the new VM, and we were ready to transfer
>> the live site.
>>
>> At that point I learned about plans of using https instead of http.
>> Infra-root has a policy that all logins (not only for committers) should be
>> done through https.
>>
>> Using https, requires a certificate, and the ongoing discussion is whether
>> "*.openoffice.org" is really needed or if "*.openoffice.apache.org" would
>> be ok.
>>
>> If I have understood the details correctly (sorry for being vague, but I
>> have not been able to get a clear answer), the users would address https:
>> wiki.openoffice.org or http:wiki.openoffice.org and get a response as https:
>> ooo-wiki.openoffice.org or https:ooo-wiki.openoffice.apache.org.
>>

> IMHO renaming goes in the wrong direction.

Ok, maybe I'm confused here, but I think Jan is saying users would still
connect to http:wiki.openoffice.org but be transferred to
https: ooo-wiki.openoffice.org.

Well, OK, this really IS a "renaming", actually creating a new host I
guess, but, I'm not sure I see the problem here.

  I think we should be
> looking to get the entire website on to one domain, either all on
> openoffice.org or all on openoffice.apache.org.   Splitting things up
> is confusing for users, makes extra work for us (and for Infra),
> confuses the hell out of Google Analytics.

Oh OK, well this makes all kind of sense. :}

> I'd really like to see everything under one domain, including our blog
> and even CWiki (or migrate CWiki over to MWiki).
>
> That's my ideal.   Is it impossible?

I wouldn't think so. Maybe we need to wait to see what develops with the
wiki situation, then go from there after the fact.

and a ps. Yes, ANYTHING requiring a log in should be https.

>> I have written/mailed several times that openoffice.org is a legacy, very
>> important to AOO, and hope it has been understood. The latest discussion
>> seems to go in the direction of getting a certificate for openoffice.org,
>> but there are no guarantees.

Well we would still do redirects for the old name. Not much to worry
about there.

> Is the issue cost?  We could do a mini-fundraising plea on our
> homepage.  I bet we could raise the necessary funds for the
> certificate.
>
> Note:  If I understand the security concern with the login, aren't we
> in the same issue with the phpBB forums?  Would a single cert be able
> to cover that as well?  Or do we need one cert per subdomain?

If we are, this should be changed also.

> Regards,
>
> -Rob
>

>> I have informed infra, that I cannot participate in works that causes a url
>> name change, without having a green light from the AOO community. Meaning
>> that I am now just monitoring what happens and not participating.
>>
>> I am sorry to have partly caused the current situation, I wanted to make a
>> clean installation to make the VM easier to maintain, had I not done that,
>> the https discussion would problaly never have surfaced.
>>
>> I have no deadline for the change, mainly because it is done by others, but
>> I am convinced that Infra will end with a solution that the community can
>> accept.
>>
>> Please take this as information, I cannot go into a discussion on behalf of
>> Infra (I am not infra, but we do have other committers that are infra).
>>
>> Rgds
>> jan I.

MzK

"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted."
                                  -- Aesop