openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject We Need One - Fwd: DOAP
Date Thu, 03 Jan 2013 06:30:20 GMT
HI Andrea,

We need to fill out a project DOAP file in order to be listed on www.apache.org on the bottom
left.

Regards,
Dave

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Shane Curcuru <asf@shanecurcuru.org>
> Date: January 2, 2013 5:28:58 PM PST
> To: general@incubator.apache.org
> Subject: Re: DOAP
>
> DOAP files are required for all TLPs, per the Branding policy:
>
>  http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs
>
> DOAP files are used to autogenerate the projects listing site:
>
>  http://projects.apache.org/indexes.html
>
> DOAP files are the best way we have currently to ensure we have a single, simple and
machine-parseable list of all software projects available at the ASF.  We currently under-utilize
this: it would be nice if projects had more detailed DOAPs that we could entice people to
create interesting visualizations of all Apache projects.  It should also be linked to more,
so that newcomers to the ASF have an easier way to find all the different software technologies
that Apache projects have to offer to the world.

> From the brand perspective, DOAPs are required so the ASF can track all formal TLP projects
and major software products that our projects ship (among other reasons, so we can one day
auto-generate our list of trademarks).  DOAPs should also have sufficient information about
software downloads available so that if someone does write a crawler to inspect software products,
they'll get useful information.

> It would be nice if projects kept DOAPs up to date with all new releases, etc., but I
personally don't have the effort available in the near future to push on that area.  What's
more important is ensuring all TLPs have at least a basic DOAP that's checked in and reflected
at projects.a.o

> We really need to explain this more clearly in the incubator docs, and make it clear
that having a DOAP checked in is part of the branding checklist that is required to complete
before graduation.  I.e., we should ensure that podlings meet the Project Branding Requirements
before they go to graduate.