openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: Apache OpenOffice in Fedora 19?
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2013 21:12:54 GMT
Am 02/06/2013 09:13 PM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
> On 31/01/2013 Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> It got more coverage than needed, probably. It is just a proposal at
>> this stage, like dozens of other proposals.
>
> It is starting to become something a little bit more official now.
> Minutes ago, the "FESCo meeting" (Fedora Engineering Steering Committee)
> approved the feature for Fedora 19 unanimously, 9-0.

Great news.

> They will likely publish some minutes, but I copy-paste from the chat.
> ---
> Feature is accepted under the condition that the conflicts must be
> worked out. OpenOffice and LibreOffice packagers get to work them out.
> There is no FESCo mandate that LibreOffice must change to accommodate
> OpenOffice at this time. Alternatives is not the way to resolve the
> conflicts but environment-modules may be looked at as a similar means to
> achieve that.
> ---
>
> Explanations:
>
> - Conflicts are over the "soffice" and "unopkg" aliases, and possibly
> others, which would be needed by both OpenOffice and LibreOffice. Here I
> hope that the LibreOffice packagers can agree on some solutions (note:
> it's really about the packages, since the upstream LibreOffice does not
> conflict). Stephan Bergmann explained that there is still some usage of
> the hard-coded "soffice" by external applications and in the SDK. So
> this really needs to be clarified to see whether OpenOffice will break
> if it doesn't own the "soffice" alias.
>
> - For historical reasons, the "ooffice", "oowriter"... aliases are
> assigned to LibreOffice. Although we discussed it on the mailing lists,
> this won't change. So, unless we have the funny idea of squatting
> "lowriter", "localc"..., we are left with "aoowriter", "aoocalc" and so on.

I've the idea that both parties are changing to an own naming syntax:

soffice -> aooffice *and* soffice -> loffice and so on with other names.

Then both have work to do and nobody is in advantage to profit from old
stuff.

But maybe this just an idealistic way and a naive point of view ;-).

My 2 ct.

Marcus