openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: New DEFLATE algorithm from Google
Date Fri, 01 Mar 2013 23:34:49 GMT
Hi

On 13-03-01, at 17:15 , Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> http://googledevelopers.blogspot.com/2013/02/compress-data-more-densely-with-zopfli.html
>
> 8% better compression at the cost of slower compression.
> Decompression speed is said to be unchanged.  Apache License 2.0.
>
> Do we have any use for this?
>
> Probably not a good trade-off for the use of DEFLATE in our document
> compression -- we don't want to slow down the saving operation.  But
> would this be useful in the install sets?
>
> -Rob

I read over the short account. The telling statement:

"Due to the amount of CPU time required — 2 to 3 orders of magnitude more than zlib at maximum
quality — Zopfli is best suited for applications where data is compressed once and sent
over a network many times, for example, static content for the web."

So, I'd think that using this new algorithm for installations sets makes sense. For all other
uses, I'd agree with you, it does not seem useful for us.

Louis