openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Malte Timmermann <malte_timmerm...@gmx.com>
Subject Re: Open-Xchange to launch open-source, browser-based office suite
Date Wed, 27 Mar 2013 16:36:14 GMT
Hi Louis,

On 27.03.2013 16:03, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
> Hi Malte!
> It's a pleasure to see you here…

I am here since the beginning of AOO - but working on other stuff, it's
quite hard to follow the lists... ;)

> On 13-03-27, at 09:51 , Malte Timmermann <malte_timmermann@gmx.com> wrote:
>
>> On 24.03.2013 18:29, Rob Weir wrote:

>>> Our code is free for anyone to use, under a permissive license.  But
>>> it is not clear to me that our code would be particularly useful to
>>> them.
>>
>> For OX Text, we actually can't use any code of OOo…
>
> Yeah, we came to that conclusion. Alas.
>

>> But for converting different kinds of documents, we make use of OOo in the backend.
We found and fixed some issues, and are contributing back the patches…

> Thanks! I was also thinking, though Rob wasn't, and maybe Dennis wasn't either, that
there are other areas where collaboration, at least of the passive sort, can help the overall
ODF and "open source" community. For instance, localizations.  One could envision establishing
a set of strings that can be used in common by relevant applications. As well, as you probably
recall, we have the Oasis OIC (interoperability/compatibility) TC. Would be great to include
OX Text there, at least for starters, so that users can feel less concerned about vendor lockin.

Interop is a good point: When creating odt files, we already figured out
that ODF gives you more "choices" then it should. Result: One document
with lists and different kind off attributes looks different in AOO,
different in LO, and different in MSO. I can understand/expect the
difference between MSO and AOO/LO - but now even between AOO and LO?!

> And then there are the mobile-users among us. I'm working with one very promising group
that does not use OOo technology but would be able to view/edit OOXML and ODF text; at least
that's the idea. Given the array of mobile options out there, and the fact that there is no
good solution to mobiles for enterprises, yet, and "enterprise" can include education and
other public sector efforts, I think there would be plenty of opportunity to "collaborate,"
if not on code then on establishing a strong set of options that would break through the we-have-no-choice
mentality we all love to hate.

If you want to give me more details about the OOXML/ODF viewing stuff,
please come back on me via private email (but not the one I am using
here) or linkedin :)

> Oh, then there is accessibility. You remember that, yes? :-)

I remember - I had so much fun with that ;)

But honestly: Accessibility is such an important and interesting (and
difficult) topic that I already volunteered to take care for that inside
OX too...

Malte.