openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Open-Xchange to launch open-source, browser-based office suite
Date Wed, 27 Mar 2013 15:19:52 GMT

On 13-03-27, at 11:15 , Malte Timmermann <malte_timmermann@gmx.com> wrote:

> Hi Louis,
>
> On 24.03.2013 00:38, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
>>
>> On 13-03-23, at 19:11 , "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
>>
>>> The server is GPL and the JavaScripts that run in clients, Outlook, etc., are
Creative Commons attribution-share-alike-noncommercial.  None of that is Apache friendly.

>> Indeed; hence my wistful hope.
>>

>>> More information:
>>>
>>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-Xchange>.
>>> The licenses apply to different parts of the code base.
>>>
>>> From this <http://www.linkedin.com/company/open-xchange?trk=prof-following-company-logo>
>>> I notice that Martin Holmichel is Senior Product Manager and that Malte Timmerman
is Head of Development in Hamburg.

>> Quite. I am indeed sorry that both Malte and Martin chose this path but it's quite
possible they chose wisely—let's see.

> Assuming that you talk about working for Open-Xchange now (instead of staying full time
OOo contributors), and not about the choice of licenses (which OX is using for many years
now):

> I guess most people here know that we didn't chose to stop working on OOo full time,
but that it was purely Oracle's decisions to - let's put it this way - not to have an OOo
team anymore…

I'm actually laughing at your choice of words. Indeed, that was the decision, but in fairness
to O., the seeds of self-destruction were planted early. Which is why I'm actually glad, if
less gainfully employed, to see Apache OO and now Open-Xchange continue with developing the
code in interesting ways.

> And believe me - with working for Open-Xchange now, Malte and Martin did choose wisely
:)

Quite.

> Like did the many other people from the former Sun/Oracle OpenOffice.org team, who now
work in the OX Hamburg team too.

> Actually, these people make up a 100% of the Hamburg team. OX launched the Hamburg site
just for/with us.

Interesting.

> OX is a nice place to work. Nice people, great product.
> Open Source for a long time, now also with office productivity.
>
> Afterwards, everybody here is happy that Oracle gave us "the opportunity" to work for
Open-Xchange on OX Documents now - nobody is looking back.

Right; none should. My interest is and always has been in seeing the future. But this is a
public list, and I'd be happy to talk to old friends and colleagues off list. Less embarrassing,
I suppose. :-)

Cheers,
Louis