openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From janI <j...@apache.org>
Subject Re: wiki.openoffice.org is down, and pam is not runing so sudo is not possible.
Date Thu, 28 Mar 2013 10:36:55 GMT
On 28 March 2013 06:56, Jürgen Schmidt <jogischmidt@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/28/13 3:37 AM, janI wrote:
> > Online again.
>
> thanks for taking care of it
>

> > somehow fs decided to go r/o, which caused mysql and pam to stop,
> requiring
> > the knife method for reboot. After reboot part of the config was lost
> (raw
> > devices), which I created again.
> >
> > Infra politely reminded me, that there are
> >    - 91 packages that can be updated
> >    and some security patches (no details listed in this mail)
> >
> > I thought some of the others took care of that, as they used to (I have
> > just heard that I am the only aoo with access, because the others havent
> > asked for it yet) ?
> >
> > If I am really the only one caring for our mwiki, I agree with rob愀
> > concern about a single person being a risk !!
> >
> > Any thought on how we can remedy this situation ?
>
> We can summarize/document the things that are most important to know and
> how typical problems have to be addressed. How to get notified and how
> start the necessary steps.

It is documented, more than it have ever been.
- Ubuntu/ATS/httpd/mysql/mwiki maintenance is documented on the respective
sites
- All our changes are documented in infra svn

 Searching for volunteers who are really committed and able to fix
> problems. And who are interested to build the necessary minimal skills.

Define the communication plan in case of any problems, who start working
> on it etc to avoid duplicate work.

The same for other critical services. I know it is not easy to find
> enough people to cover it completely but it should be our goal to staff
> a small (but working) team of volunteers.
>

> Keeping in mind that a working infra structure with important running
> services is important and keeping it running is a very important and
> valuable contribution to the project.

I totally agree on that point, which is why I have been active daily for 4
month on #asfinfra helping with different issues (more non AOO than AOO), I
thought I had earned some merit, but it seems I lack some skills to be part
of that project.

I understand from the comment, that the point I tried to make was not
direct enough, so let me make it clear.

At the moment there are 5 AOO committers (if I count correctly) who are
also Infra committers and passive online more or less daily on #asfinfra (2
online last night and a third logged on during the incident).

A couple of weeks ago, #asfinfra started using a ranking system (my word
for it). Infra committers had a + added to their nick (was given voice),
when I asked on the list why, I got the following answer:
   "Today there are 80 people online, we want to be able to see regulars"

I am not infra, it seems I lack some skills and I dont like being second
rank (while doing a lot of work), so that was the day I decided to stay off
the channel, if being online and active daily for months is not "regular"
then it is not a place for me.

The nagios alert woke me up last night, and it took me small 3 hours to get
it back online (with the help of gmcdonald), and I asked myself why do this
when I am seen as a non regular second rank person.

So please consider this my notice from mwiki.

I will not spent time providing a service level in a project which I am not
considered part of, I will leave that to those who are part of infra/AOO
and concentrate my programming work here in AOO where my work at least is
being seen essential.

jan I.