openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <orc...@apache.org>
Subject Strange OSI Certification Claim
Date Sat, 13 Apr 2013 00:27:31 GMT
While looking around for some PDL-licensed content on www.openoffice.org, I stumbled onto this
page: <http://www.openoffice.org/product/index.html>.

I find this statement, at the bottom of the page, quite challenging:

	•  Certified by OSI(<http://opensource.org/docs/definition.php>)
        as open-standard compliant, and the
        first software package in the world to use OASIS OpenDocument Format
        (ISO/IEC 26300) as its native file format

Minor: The links in "OASIS OpenDocument Format (ISO/IEC 26300)" are all about the OASIS specification
and the ODF TC, not ISO/IEC 26300).

More problematic: I don't think OSI certifies anything.  It most definitely does not certify
products.

does assess whether standards are open standards.  There is an OSI web page on Open Standards
at <http://opensource.org/osr-intro>.  This section provides criteria for assessing
levels of compliance by which *standards* are deemed to be open standards.  These are the
requirements: <http://opensource.org/osr/>.

There is apparently not any record of OSI having certified any standards as OSR Conformant.
 I also have no idea whether OASIS International has self-certified the OASIS OpenDocument
standard(s) as OSR Compatible.  I am reasonably confident that ISO/IEC JTC1 has done no such
thing with respect to International Standard 26300:2006.

I hesitate to touch that page.  I think it is fine to say this much:

	• The first software package in the world to support as its native format the OASIS Standard
Open Document Format for Office Applications and the corresponding International Standard,
ISO/IEC 26300:2006.

Unless there is an authoritative reference to ODF being established as either OSR Conformant
or OSR Compatible, I would leave that alone.  The fact that Apache OpenOffice is open source
under an OSI accepted license should be good enough, after all.

 - Dennis