openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Shahaf <danie...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal]: Call for donations
Date Thu, 04 Apr 2013 23:05:36 GMT
You might want to talk to fundraising@ before you do anything --- not as
much for permission as for ideas on how to frame the "Please donate"
request.

(fundraising@ is privately-archived)

Joseph Schaefer wrote on Thu, Apr 04, 2013 at 18:38:18 -0400:
> FWIW last time I checked there was a huge increase
> in paypal donations once OpenOffice adjusted it's
> contribution page accordingly.
>

> On Apr 4, 2013, at 6:21 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > Raphael Bircher wrote:
> >> I disagree. Yes, we can help with foundings for ASF, but please do this
> >> on ASF Level. Founding money is not the task of a ASF project, It's the
> >> task for the foundation.
> >
> > The Foundation is made by its projects, so OpenOffice should definitely help with
fundraising. Consider that OpenOffice (downloads excluded!) generates as much web traffic
as all the other Apache projects put together, or something reasonably close to that. Also,
the OpenOffice infrastructure requirements (buildbots, management) generates additional expenses
for the Foundation that only benefit the OpenOffice project.

> > In short: if OpenOffice can use its web traffic and popularity to drive more donations
to the Foundation, it will surely directly benefit from most of them. So I agree with Juergen
that we should solicit donations.