openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Jürgen Schmidt <jogischm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal]: Call for donations
Date Fri, 05 Apr 2013 06:47:52 GMT
On 4/5/13 12:38 AM, Joseph Schaefer wrote:
> FWIW last time I checked there was a huge increase
> in paypal donations once OpenOffice adjusted it's
> contribution page accordingly.

that is what I have expected of course. I know the numbers of the past
;-) But we can do better and can benefit all from more.

Juergen

> On Apr 4, 2013, at 6:21 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Raphael Bircher wrote:
>>> I disagree. Yes, we can help with foundings for ASF, but please do this
>>> on ASF Level. Founding money is not the task of a ASF project, It's the
>>> task for the foundation.
>>
>> The Foundation is made by its projects, so OpenOffice should definitely help with
fundraising. Consider that OpenOffice (downloads excluded!) generates as much web traffic
as all the other Apache projects put together, or something reasonably close to that. Also,
the OpenOffice infrastructure requirements (buildbots, management) generates additional expenses
for the Foundation that only benefit the OpenOffice project.

>> In short: if OpenOffice can use its web traffic and popularity to drive more donations
to the Foundation, it will surely directly benefit from most of them. So I agree with Juergen
that we should solicit donations.