openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Herbert Dürr <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Build breaker and clean build
Date Wed, 10 Apr 2013 09:41:18 GMT
On 2013/04/10 11:15 AM, Andre Fischer wrote:
> On 10.04.2013 10:33, Herbert Dürr wrote:
>> On 2013/04/10 10:09 AM, Andre Fischer wrote:
>>> tonight we had a build breaker in the windows build: a slot id that is
>>> used in SW had been removed in SVX.  The reference in SW had also been
>>> removed, so this change should not be a problem.
>>> But the windows build is still not a full build.  Therefore the old SW
>>> slot header files where used and the build broke.
>>>
>>> There is an easy fix for situations like this: a clean build.
>>
>> Incremental build are known to have problems thats why I suggested [1]
>> to default to a clean build. That didn't receive consensus though and
>> indeed there are good reasons against it:
>>
>> The incremental build both tests the dependency system and it reduces
>> the load when building significantly.
>>
>> On the already strained buildbot this means a factor of almost five
>> improvement as clean build takes about 4.5h whereas an incremental
>> build takes only 0.5-1.0h.
>
> Hm, we prefer a fast build over a correct build?

Some developers apparently do. Please see the mail thread at [1]

[1] http://markmail.org/message/wmlhc5f5zaiiyu2o

> I don't think that that is the right priority.  Also, a build that
> breaks due to errors caused by not starting clean is wasted time, ours
> and that of the build server.

I agree.

>> Andrew even had to reschedule the snapshot build away from the weekly
>> clean build because the buildbot load is a real problem.
>
> Would it help to do the windows build only every second day (night)?

Doing the regular build for trunk only every second night would only
help if the nightly builds for branches such as l10n or ia2 would also
be reduced. Do they still need nightly builds?

Herbert