openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Herbert Dürr <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Clean build proposal
Date Tue, 16 Apr 2013 07:42:41 GMT
On 2013/04/16 9:12 AM, Andre Fischer wrote:
> On 15.04.2013 18:12, Herbert Dürr wrote:
>> On 2013/04/15 4:00 PM, Andre Fischer wrote:
>>> I would like to change the build type of the Windows7 nightly build from
>>> incremental to clean.
>>>
>>> Reasons in favor of a clean build are:
>>>
>>> - Developers don't have to know if a change is incompatible and thus
>>> have to (somehow) trigger a clean build.
>>>
>>> - Developers don't have to learn how to trigger a clean build.
>>>
>>> - We avoid very subtle bugs that are introduced when an incremental
>>> build is made on incompatible changes.
>>>    Issues 122047 and 122048 may be caused by such a broken build: the
>>> office works in general, only commands are mapped to the wrong ids.
>>>    It is not acceptable to have builds that we can not rely on.
>>
>> I'm having a deja vue moment ;-)
>> [1] http://markmail.org/message/lpprmeahwurvepx5
>
> No, this thread does not apply.  It was centered on the idea to change
> the bootstrap file and thus to affect every build, not just the ones on
> the buildbot.  I don't want to change any files in SVN, only the
> buildbot setup.

The central suggestion was to default to a clean build because of the
observation that dependencies currently don't work reliably which
results in artifacts that are not reproducible and waste a lot of time
was a direct hit.

It is clear that the cleaning has to be somewhere between configure and
the build steps. Where exactly was almost irrelevant. Bootstrap was only
suggested because it is the only step between configure and the actual
build. The "build --clean" suggested by Oliver had the problem that a
simple build restart, e.g. after one of the infamous dmake failures,
should not accidentally delete all the work already done.

> I am thankful for your and Andrew's work but you describe a problem with
> the current process, not with clean builds.

I prefer clean builds too and now that I'm hearing Andrew that is happy
with the change I'm all the happier with that. I already did it weeks
ago for the snapshot builds a couple of weeks ago which resulted in some
(minor) opposition then ;-)

> BTW, was that a -1 or a 0 to my proposal?

It was a support vote for Andrew's evaluation of the situation who quite
clearly described why he liked the incremental build.

Herbert