openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [Proposal]: Call for donations
Date Fri, 05 Apr 2013 00:23:24 GMT
We can easily copy the "Donate" button from the footer to the topnav.

We can request that l10n teams add a translated donate button for their language. If they
haven't translated their brand and topnav now would a time to do so. We would want to translate
the fundraising page, too.

Is this a vehicle for incrementally starting the new web hierarchy? Some variation on the
plans that many of us have kicked around?

On Apr 4, 2013, at 4:05 PM, Daniel Shahaf wrote:

> You might want to talk to fundraising@ before you do anything --- not as
> much for permission as for ideas on how to frame the "Please donate"
> request.
>
> (fundraising@ is privately-archived)
>
> Joseph Schaefer wrote on Thu, Apr 04, 2013 at 18:38:18 -0400:
>> FWIW last time I checked there was a huge increase
>> in paypal donations once OpenOffice adjusted it's
>> contribution page accordingly.

>>> The Foundation is made by its projects, so OpenOffice should definitely help
with fundraising. Consider that OpenOffice (downloads excluded!) generates as much web traffic
as all the other Apache projects put together, or something reasonably close to that. Also,
the OpenOffice infrastructure requirements (buildbots, management) generates additional expenses
for the Foundation that only benefit the OpenOffice project.

>>> In short: if OpenOffice can use its web traffic and popularity to drive more
donations to the Foundation, it will surely directly benefit from most of them. So I agree
with Juergen that we should solicit donations.