openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From janI <j...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Crowdfunding revisited
Date Thu, 25 Apr 2013 13:34:53 GMT
On 25 April 2013 13:38, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 11:46 PM, Donald Whytock <dwhytock@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hey all...
> >
> > We talked a couple months ago about a Kickstarter-like scheme for paying
> > for bug fixes and enhancements.  Actually, it seems this sort of thing
> > exists in the other direction:
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bountysource
> >
> > https://www.bountysource.com/
> >
> > Bountysource is a site for people to put up funded requests for changes.
> >  People put up issues to fix, along with amounts pledged to the fixing of
> > them (I've seen $0 pledges, so I guess the pledge is optional), and a
> > person receives the bounty if a fix is checked in and accepted.
> >
> > The site is for any open source project with a public homepage.  There's
> > entries for LibreOffice, VLC, PhoneGap plugins and others (none for
> > OpenOffice so far).  They also, yes, have fundraising efforts for really
> > big changes/features.
> >
> > Essentially anyone can say they fulfilled the bounty request.  Then
> there's
> > two weeks for the bounty poster to say, "Oh no you didn't!", otherwise
> the
> > bounty gets paid.
> >
> > This from a ten-minute read of their FAQ.  There's a little bit more to
> it
> > than that, but that's the gist.
> >
> > Think we'll be seeing OpenOffice bounties?
> >

> The problem is this requires that both the person(s) funding and the
> person doing the work know about that website.  But even those heavily
> involved with the project, or even power users, are unlikely to
> stumble upon that site.
>
> If we really want to encourage this kind of match ups then we'd
> probably need to encourage it somehow, even if just from the
> information sharing perspective.  Although we cannot officially
> endorse these sites, maybe we can add something to the support page
> that says something like:
>
> "The following third-part websites help match users and coders seeking
> to fund development work in open source projects.  Although the Apache
> OpenOffice project does not pay for development work, these websites
> may be useful for those wishing to independently make such
> arrangements."
>
> -Rob

Would it be an idea if we made our own subdomain and a couple of pages
(e.g. link to a mwiki page), that way we could direct sponsors/developers.

I have on the other understood (maybe wrong) that we are not allowed to
accept dedicated donations, all donations must go to ASF treasury and be
distributed from there.

rgds
jan I.