openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From janI <j...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Official survey service? (Was: Re: Conversation: Pick A Logo)
Date Fri, 19 Apr 2013 11:39:52 GMT
On 19 April 2013 13:29, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 7:20 AM, janI <jani@apache.org> wrote:

> > > Indeed, let's avoid using unofficial domains when we can redirect an
> > > official subdomain. Redirecting the DNS won't pose a big burden on
> Infra
> > > and just requires (lazy) consensus here.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >   Andrea.
> > >

> > 23 hours, not bad for "month-long wrestling match with
> > Infra to get something like this set up" !!!
> >
> > The patch I made for dns is up and running. you can open "
> > survey.openoffice.org". BUT something is not working in the other end,
> > reply comes from hostmonster, with a possibilities to buy cars erc.
> >

> The DNS stuff had to happen first, and only then I can get it working on my
> end.
>

> > and yes I am a direct person, I like to tell people when they do
> something
> > good and visa versa, but I dont like assuming ill behaivour....but that
> is
> > just my way, and I am sorry if my direct way offended someone....but look
> > infra got their part done, without wrestling.
> >

> I'm not assuming bad behavior.  I was just stating that I don't have the
> time to guess whether this is an occasion where we get a fast response or a
> slow one.  The response time from Infra, IMHO, is entirely unpredictable.
> I have another DNS-related Infra request that are no more complicated and
> have waited almost a year.  It looks like we were fortunate this time.

or we have a better connection now :-) think about the other infra things
that have happened lately (wiki, new translate, proxy setup), the ones I
know off have all had resonable response time

I was not trying to shoot at you, I just have another impression of
infra...but of course, I am not neutral.

Our need to pick a logo design is very predictable and the time line for
> that must go forward.  So I was happy to move forward with this either
> way.  If I can avoid a dependency on Infra that is a good thing, not a bad
> one.

completely correct, but if the price is to have a non openoffice.org site,
it is at least a high price to pay.

> > @rob: can you please have a look at your end, you need problaly to add it
> > as a vhost.
> >

> Yes.
>

> > I am not sure what the survey actually is, some kind of py/perl/js, I can
> > get an idea, I can think about how we can move it to our own site.
> >

> It is a PHP app, LimeSurvey.  Pre-reqs are listed here:
>

> http://manual.limesurvey.org/wiki/Installation#1._Make_sure_you_can_use_LimeSurvey_on_your_website

thx for the link, I will have a look at it.

rgds
jan I.