openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Whytock <dwhyt...@gmail.com>
Subject Crowdfunding revisited
Date Thu, 25 Apr 2013 03:46:30 GMT
Hey all...

We talked a couple months ago about a Kickstarter-like scheme for paying
for bug fixes and enhancements.  Actually, it seems this sort of thing
exists in the other direction:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bountysource

https://www.bountysource.com/

Bountysource is a site for people to put up funded requests for changes.
 People put up issues to fix, along with amounts pledged to the fixing of
them (I've seen $0 pledges, so I guess the pledge is optional), and a
person receives the bounty if a fix is checked in and accepted.

The site is for any open source project with a public homepage.  There's
entries for LibreOffice, VLC, PhoneGap plugins and others (none for
OpenOffice so far).  They also, yes, have fundraising efforts for really
big changes/features.

Essentially anyone can say they fulfilled the bounty request.  Then there's
two weeks for the bounty poster to say, "Oh no you didn't!", otherwise the
bounty gets paid.

This from a ten-minute read of their FAQ.  There's a little bit more to it
than that, but that's the gist.

Think we'll be seeing OpenOffice bounties?

Don