openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Mirror file structure][DISCUSS] Wanted: New mirror file structure for AOO 4.0
Date Mon, 01 Apr 2013 01:20:00 GMT
On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 12:07 PM, Marcus (OOo) <marcus.mail@wtnet.de> wrote:
> Many months ago we agreed to create a new file structure for the mirrors to
> get rid of some historical grown limitations and complexity.
>
> I want to continue this and come to a final result.
>
> Current situation:
>
> - Mostly it's about to differenciate the files between "stable" for en-US
> files only and "localized" for all other languages.
>
> - Due to Apache policy the source files must not be distributed by mirrors,
> but have to be offered from Apache servers only.

Is that actually true?  I thought it was fine to distribute our source
tarballs via the Apache mirror network.  The things that must be
distributed from the Apache dist server are the hash files and
detached signature files.

> New naming structure:
>
> - A new structure could look like the following:
>
> <path_on_the_mirror>/<release_version>/<file_type>/<language_code>/<install_file>
>
> Some examples to make it more realistic:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/
> 4.0.0/binaries/en-US/Apache_OpenOffice_4.0.0_Win_x86_install_en-US.exe
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/
> 4.0.0/binaries/it/Apache_OpenOffice_4.0.0_Win_x86_langpack_it.exe
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/
> 4.0.0/binaries/SDK/Apache_OpenOffice-SDK_4.0.0_Win_x86_install_en-US.exe

This does not match your pattern.  There is no <language-code>
component to the path?

> http://www.apache.org/dyn/aoo-closer.cgi/ooo/
> 4.0.0/source/aoo-4.0.0-src.tar.bz2
>
> What do you think?

This is fine.  Could even do without the <file_type> directory.  If
you do then directly to the <language_code> directory, everything is
clear by the file name.  Otherwise we end up with many directories
with only a very small number of files in them.

-Rob