openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Call for AOO 4.0 translation volunteers via update notification
Date Tue, 09 Apr 2013 17:14:52 GMT
On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 1:10 PM, janI <jani@apache.org> wrote:

> On Apr 9, 2013 7:05 PM, "Rob Weir" <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> > > 3.3.0
> > > language

> focused on

> > > I like the page, but would it be possible to have link or something to
> > > full list of languages, and maybe sort the list.
> > >

> > I link to Pootle in the last paragraph, and the user can then sort it
> > however they want.  Note that points to the 3.4 project in Pootle.  I
> don't
> > see anything for 4.0.
> >

> > > you miss danish and german at least, remember we have new texts for 4.0
> so
> > > no language is 100%.
> > >

> > Yes, but that will be a different communication via the L10n list, for
> > languages where we already have translators.  My main focus here is to
> > reach out via new means to those who, we have not been successful
> reaching
> > in other ways.  We'll need to try a few things, mailing list, blog post,
> > etc.
>
> hmmm as far as I know there are no danish translators, our long delay with
> 3.4.1 costed motivation.

Regardless, this page is for languages not supported in AOO 3.4.1.  Thus
the opening paragraph mentioning that they are running an older version of
OpenOffice.org.    We'll reach out to translators for Danish and other
languages already supported via other means.  It will be far easier to
motivate existing translators familiar with the process than to onboard
someone who has never done this kind of thing before. So it does not make
sense to recruit for Danish via a universal appeal, at least not initially.

-Rob