openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <rabas...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Where to keep release notes?
Date Fri, 12 Jul 2013 19:17:34 GMT
On Jul 12, 2013, at 2:26 PM, "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.mail@wtnet.de> wrote:

> Am 07/12/2013 07:18 PM, schrieb janI:
>> On 12 July 2013 18:49, Rob Weir<robweir@apache.org>  wrote:
>>
>>> In the past we drafted release notes on the wiki, and then moved them
>>> to a location on the website.  I'd like to challenge our thinking on
>>> this.
>>>
>>> Wouldn't it be useful to keep the release notes as a "live" document
>>> on the wiki, so we can easily update it with additional information on
>>> known issues as they are found, especially after release?
>>
>> I see your point, however I disagree.
>>
>> I think the release doc. for 4.0 is part of the release and should be
>> frozen in svn like all other release artifacts. This is done by having it
>> as a static web page.
>
> I support the doubts of Jan.
>
> The release notes should be seen as an artifact from a release as they describe this.
We can also go that far that we write down the SVN revision number into the release notes.
Then they are really tied strictly to this release and nothing else.

And I did not mean to suggest anything else. The wiki page would be
tied to a specific version of AOO, a different page for each version.
But it would be  updated to reflect the latest info, especially in the
"known problems" section.

>> We can then have a "latest information", which are live in wiki.
>
> What about to put a link like this at the top of the release notes to give it more visible
attention:

> Text: "For the latest information about Apache OpenOffice 4.0 see
>      this related Wiki page."
> Link: http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/AOO400_Lastest_Info

Look at it from the perspective of the user. They want one place to go
for relevant info related to the release and problems they might
encounter. They don't want to hunt around for "old" versus "new" info.
Those distinctions are not relevant to a new user.

For example, imagine Windows 8.1 comes out and causes a problem with
AOO4, but there is a good workaround that could save the user much
frustration.  But the release notes don't mention this. They just say
Windows 8 is tested. This is not very helpful.

> Then new and important / noteable changes can be documented in the (more easily accessible)
Wiki.

My proposal was to handle this by keeping the release notes on a wiki
page so such changes are seen by users with the least effort for them
and us.

-Rob