openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From James Boyk <b...@caltech.edu>
Subject Re: Willing to pay
Date Thu, 04 Jul 2013 20:39:56 GMT
Thanks very much.

I'm afraid I don't want to use .odt.

I will look for the Help guide. I never found it from OO window HELP
menu; in fact, almost never found anything useful there.

I'm afraid my tolerance for reading about yet another application's
unique world-view and unique user-interface metaphor is low. By
contrast, my appreciation for intuitive programs with Excellent help
files is high.

As a former programmer, my feeling is that the user should not need
Help files, as the program should be self-explanatory; but that Help
files should be well-designed and -written in case they are needed. I
recognize that this is not the case with most programs.

My idea about a word processor is that it should be transparent.
Word-Perfect was, and I thought so at the time, too. Various others I
tried occasionally were not. WORD was very much not. OO is not only
not transparent, it's grossly ill-behaved, as I described. Still, I
will try what's suggested.

Regards,

jb

www.JamesBoyk.com "Boyk on Piano" blog
www.PerformanceRecordings.com
www.its.caltech.edu/~boyk
www.its.caltech.edu/~musiclab

- - - -

On 7/3/13, James Boyk <boyk@caltech.edu> wrote:
> Please excuse this intrusion. I have been using OpenOffice (now 3.4.1)
> on my Mac (now 10.6.8) for a couple of years, at the recommendation of
> a physicist/programmer friend (who, however, uses OO on a PC).
>
> As experienced on my Mac, OO is absurdly defective. I would happily
> pay for an hour of time from someone knowledgeable to see if there's
> some obvious thing wrong or if I should get another word processor
> (the only OO function I use).
>
> OO font size changes spontaneously, e.g., from 12 pt. to 10 pt.
> Sometimes I Save in 12 pt., and when I Open the file, it's 10 pt.

Hello, I have several recommendation for you:
a) Work with OpenDocument formats (odt)
b) Have a look at our Help guide, working with styles.
    Styles:
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOo3_User_Guides/Writer_Guide/Introduction_to_Styles
    Tempates:
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOo3_User_Guides/Writer_Guide/Working_with_Templates
c) I would suggest to also read about OpenOffice Writer unique
features such as Navigation
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOo3_User_Guides/Writer_Guide/Using_the_Navigator