openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Jürgen Schmidt <jogischm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Hello - new volunteer
Date Mon, 08 Jul 2013 07:03:59 GMT
On 7/7/13 10:08 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> Welcome! The first step in volunteering is to subscribe to this dev list.
>
> If you would like to help us with building installation packages for WIndows platforms
then you should start by learning how to build from here:

> http://openoffice.apache.org/source.html
>
> This may be a difficult place to start, but it would be a prerequisite to building an
installation package.

> Please ask questions on the list as you explore.

Indeed expert knowledge in the area of Windows installer would be
appreciated. We have a hand made complex packaging process that is
designed to have many common procedures for all platforms + specialized
ones for each platform.

A simplification would be welcome and we are looking forward to produce
minor patch updates to provide better service to our users.

> One of the big areas we need help is with secure digital signatures of installation artifacts.
Anything that you could add to how we can make this happen in very few steps would be helpful.
The ASF has strict standards which no one has met your expertise may prove helpful.

the singing process itself is not the problem it is more the handling or
better secure maintaining of the certificate. Signing a build in a
secure environment is only the matter of using the right flags.

But anyway in both areas help is welcome. Feel free to ask on the dev list

Juergen

> Regards,
> Dave
>
> On Jul 6, 2013, at 8:16 AM, Dave Ashelman wrote:
>
>> Hello Open Office Developers:
>> Good morning:
>> I hope this eMail finds you well.  My name is David Ashelman and I have bachelor
degrees in computer information systems and mathematics.
>> I really believe your software is very robust and extremely reliable.
>>
>> I have a lot of experience writing MSI database application setups also teaching
computer theory to new MSI crafters.  If I can help, then let me know how I can improve your
already remarkable software.
>> Since 1996, I've been a network administrator, a software design support engineer,
an InstallShield technical trainer, a software Release/Build technician, a Windows migration
consultant, and an application packaging engineer.

>> I have good technical skills and experience with people and software engineering.
>> * Two (2) Technical College Degrees (Computer Information Systems + Math)
>> * Four (4) years of experience employed by the corporation Flexera, who made AdminStudio.
I was responsible for supporting and training users of that software (Flexera Admin Studio)
>> * I worked at InstallShield from 1999 - 2003 the time when software packaging began

>> From 2000-2003, I taught software application packaging, software design Best Practices,
and Windows migration around the United States, Canada, & Great Brittan while working
for Flexera, Macro Vision, or InstallShield.

>> During that time, I saw how very difficult understanding software builds, releasing,
and installs was for certain software application developers. So, instead of simply reciting
the InstallShield product examples, I wrote a book illuminating and shedding light on hard
to grasp concepts and how to best handle those concepts in computer data transfer. Multiple
illustrations and mathematical proofs and equations explain everything you need to know to
make great software and application installations.

>> * Fourteen (14) years software build/release, software installation authoring, application
packaging engineering, & Windows migrations

>> From 2003-13 I have been around the United States meeting great people, solving complex
Windows migrations, solving software application packaging projects, creating software build
releases, and authored multi-platform software installations.

>> With a little luck, hopefully we can work together. I’d like to help you improve
your software solutions.  Your future is bright.