openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Contact message (from OpenBob)
Date Wed, 03 Jul 2013 17:08:19 GMT
On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 12:39 PM, janI <jani@apache.org> wrote:
> On 3 July 2013 18:32, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>>> if 0.01% of them misuse a contact form, it will cause us problem.  So
>>> we need to be very careful.  Having a prominent link that says "Help"
>>> on the wiki is very attractive to a user looking for help, even if it
>>> is totally unrelated to an admin question.
>>>
>> Dont shoot the messenger, I was not the one that made the BZ, or the one
> that discussed it here on the list. I simply solved a BZ issue. Basically I
> find the idea of a contact page valid, which is why I implemented it.

I'm not shooting the messenger.  I'm simply relaying an perspective
from someone who has been involved in this project long enough to have
seen this kind of issue occur several times before. Try not to take it
personally whenever someone has a concern with an area that you have
touched.

> I dont understand why you disagree so strongly now , and did not even
> comment the BZ issue, it was announced on this list and I did wait 72 hours
> before implement it.

I'm concerned with the results, not the BZ issue.  The misdirected
issues are only showing up now.

> For sure it can be taken off again, just make a BZ and it will be handled
> in due time, no problem.
>
> Of course next time someone makes a BZ, announces it, and it remains
> uncommented, I will still hesitate to implement it, since it is obvious
> that 72 hours  is not enough to guarantee that my time isnt wasted. The
> next higher level is a vote which I honestly find a bit over the head.

I think you are overreacting.  The contact form is wonderful.  The
problem is it is too attractive to users seeking something else
(product support) and because there are far more users seeking product
help than seeking admin help, this contact form is likely to be a
problem.  But we don't need to decide now.  We can monitor it further.

> We could maybe try putting a disclaimer on the form at
>
>> http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Special:Contact
>> like the one we have in the Bugzilla footer. Or, better, with a link to
>> the forum for user support. Something like (feel free to fix the language):
>>
>> This is not part of the configuration, that means I would have to change
> in the extension itself, something I really hesitate to do, because it
> makes updates very painfull
>

>> This contact form is for technical problems with this wiki site, not for
>> OpenOffice problems. Please use http://forum.openoffice.org/ for support
>> requests concerning the OpenOffice program.
>>

> I searched for other contact forms, that was more flexible and only aimed
> at login (as pr BZ), but found none, unless I wanted to modify the mwiki
> code, which I dont want to do.
>
> I have 3 options:
> 1) keep it as it is
> 2) keep the frame and text as it is, but only before login
> 3) remove it again.
>
> I cannot change the word "help" unless someone comes with another word that
> is in the translated messages (pls remember a lot of users use the site in
> their own language).

Do we need to have the Help menu at all?  Could we just link to the
contact form from the About page in the header?

http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/AOOW:About

Regards,

-Rob