openoffice-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS][VOTE]: Release OpenOffice 4.0 (RC)
Date Sun, 14 Jul 2013 15:13:05 GMT
On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 3:42 AM, Juergen Schmidt <jogischmidt@gmail.com> wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 14. Juli 2013 um 06:35 schrieb imacat:
>> On 2013/07/13 20:52, Ariel Constenla-Haile said:
>> > On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 12:20:32PM +0200, Marcus (OOo) wrote:
>> > > Am 07/13/2013 05:14 AM, schrieb Ariel Constenla-Haile:
>> > > > On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 11:54 PM, imacat<imacat@mail.imacat.idv.tw>
wrote:
>> > > > > Sorry. I did not see Traditional Chinese version. Did I missed
>> > > > > something on the Traditional Chinese version?
>> > > > >
>> > > >
>> > > >
>> > > > UI translation is not complete: https://translate.apache.org/zh_TW/aoo40/
>> > >
>> > > I can see that 97% is translated. Not that bad. Do we have an
>> > > agreement that we need 100% for a release?
>> > >
>> >
>> >
>> > http://markmail.org/message/pxgvjuw2j3ukqsom
>> >
>> > Concerns should have been risen at that time, it was discussed on the
>> > mailing list, and properly tagged ("if it does not happen on the mailing
>> > list...").
>> >
>> >
>> > > I'm asking because I really don't know it and in former OOo times we
>> > > have done releases for languages with at least 80% translated UI
>> > > [1]. So, maybe a change that I haven't seen in the last weeks.
>> > >
>> >
>> >
>> > For this particular case, the translation of the main 4.0.0 feature is
>> > incomplete https://translate.apache.org/zh_TW/aoo40/svx/source/sidebar/
>> > How serious would it be to release this translation in such a state? The
>> > same applies to other languages released in 3.4.* but not in this 4.0.0
>> > RC.
>> >
>>
>>
>> Hmm... I see the problem with side bar translation. And I'm very
>> sorry that I was in my research paper and did not notice the previous
>> discussion. However, there are several issues of concern:
>>
>> 1. I am going to give a talk in our largest local open source
>> conference (COSCUP 2013, http://coscup.org/) on 8/3, and plan to
>> announce OpenOffice 4.0. It is the first talk after the key notes. It
>> would be very embarrassing to announce it without a local version released.
>>
>> 2. There would be a large-scale deployment around August or September
>> (6000-7000) in a government department, and they are planning to join
>> our development force in order to fix some Chinese problems in
>> governmental use. If OpenOffice 4.0 Traditional Chinese version is not
>> available at that time, we could only give them 3.4.1, which their
>> development could not be based on.
>>
>> I've asked our local community to help the translation in urgent.
>> If we can finish the Traditional Chinese sidebar translation with
>> certain amount, could it be OK to release it?
>>
> let translate the UI First and then we can figure out what's possible. Hopefully some
other languages can continue the translation as well and we can think about a language only
release where I am a big fan of to support local communities.
>

There is obviously some tension in our goals here:

1) We want to release the good work that is already done, so users who
can enjoy the new features, bug fixes, interop improvements, etc.

2) We also have some languages that are "almost" done and don't want
to "miss the train".

IMHO the way to resolve this tension is to let the current 4.0 train
leave the station, but announce another train is leaving soon.  Maybe
we can set a goal of September 16th for either a 4.0.1 (if we're
making code changes for a new critical bug) or a language update of
4.0.0 (if there are only new translations).  Hopefully we all remember
that we did this with AOO 3.4.1 as well, adding more languages after
we released.

>From what I can tell there is a steady stream of interest in
translating AOO to other languages.  There will always be another
language that is "almost ready".  That is what success looks like.  We
need to handle new translations when they are ready.  We can't hold up
the train, but we also can't make volunteers wait too long for the
next train.

So how does September 16th sound for releasing additional languages?
Is that enough time?

-Rob

> But in general we have discussed it and I would have not released German (my mother language)
if the UI translation would have been not complete.
> Just to make sure that we need active local communities who participate in the project
or at least in the translation part.
>
> It would be even better if the help would be translated as well but that is a much higher
burden and we are more flexible here.
>
> Juergen
>>
>> >
>> >
>> > Regards
>>
>>
>> --
>> Best regards,
>> imacat ^_*' <imacat@mail.imacat.idv.tw>
>> PGP Key http://www.imacat.idv.tw/me/pgpkey.asc
>>
>> <<Woman's Voice>> News: http://www.wov.idv.tw/
>> Tavern IMACAT's http://www.imacat.idv.tw/
>> Woman in FOSS in Taiwan http://wofoss.blogspot.com/
>> OpenOffice http://www.openoffice.org/
>> EducOO/OOo4Kids Taiwan http://www.educoo.tw/
>> Greenfoot Taiwan http://greenfoot.westart.tw/
>>
>>
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@openoffice.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@openoffice.apache.org


Mime
View raw message