openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [discuss] drop support for Java 5 and Java 6 for Windows
Date Wed, 07 Aug 2013 16:55:03 GMT
Oliver-Rainer Wittmann wrote:
> Important note for discussion: it is all about platform Windows.
> On my work to update the AOO build environment for Windows I recognized
> that it is hard to get an official JDK 1.5 (Java 5) or JDK 1.6 (Java 6)
> for Windows. Thus, I decided to go with JDK 1.7. The resulting AOO
> installation on Windows no longer works together with an JRE 6. It does
> not recognize an installed JRE 6 as an valid Java runtime environment.

May we frame the problem in more technical terms, just to know what is
broken? For example, why is this affecting only Windows and why is Java
6 not recognized in your build? Could the problem be in detection rather
than in the actual compatibility?

Java issues were extensively discussed in earlier times, so here's a
quick summary that also answers most of the questions in this thread:
- As of 4.0, OpenOffice can be built with Java 5, 6 or 7
- Whatever you use for building, the resulting binary has a "Java
baseline" of 1.5 as per
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Policies/Java_Usage (means: runs with
Java 5, 6 or 7)
- We built 4.0 with Java 6 (on Linux at least; not 100% sure about other
platforms)

In general, I agree that we should build on the most secure platform
available. But, based on the above, what is the relationship between
"building on Java 7" and "running on Java 6"? To reuse Rob's Windows XP
argument, sure we should build on a supported (by Microsoft) Windows
version, but, if at all possible/reasonable, we shouldn't break
compatibility with Windows XP.

Regards,
   Andrea.